Dame Barbara, the national managing director of commissioning development, was warned that GPs involved in the reforms were being ‘overwhelmed’ by their workload.
She was questioned on the subject by RCGP honorary secretary Professor Amanda Howe and other GPs worried about the impact on patient care of skilled GPs reducing their clinical commitments.
Watch the video to hear the questions and see her response.
- Video: Lansley faces GPs at RCGP conference
- Video: Health secretary's full speech at the RCGP conference 2011
- Watch Dr Gerada's speech in full
- Click here to view the transcript Dr Gerada's full speech
- Click here for all the latest news from the RCGP Conference
- From the Editors Blog: Whoops of appreciation and a standing ovation for RCGP chairwoman Dr Clare Gerada