It has compiled a top 10 unhealthiest characters and argues that its number 1, Eastenders’ Dot Cotton, should appear more breathless on TV.
Dr Peter Mace, Bupa’s assistant medical director, said: ‘Characters who have been smoking for many years have implausibly good health.’
A BBC spokesman said it had always tried to depict illnesses accurately.
The top 10:
1. Dot Cotton (Eastenders): smoker
2. Shadrach Dingle (Emmerdale): alcohol dependent
3. Tyrone Dobbs (Coronation Street): unhealthy diet
4. Heather Trott (Eastenders): unhealthy diet
5. Louise Summers (Hollyoaks): alcohol dependent
6. Shirley Carter (Eastenders): drinks too much alcohol
7. Charlie Slater (Eastenders): unhealthy diet
8. Lloyd Mullaney (Coronation Street): unhealthy diet
9. Fiz Brown (Coronation Street): unhealthy diet
10. Leo Valentine (Hollyoaks): drinks too much alcohol
Comment below and tell us what you think