Practices face seniority clawbacks of up to £4,000 per partner

Practices are being forced to repay thousands of pounds in seniority pay, even when the partners who benefited have since retired, emigrated or died.

Practices in England may have to repay up to £4,000 a year for the top earning GPs
Practices in England may have to repay up to £4,000 a year for the top earning GPs

Payments in 2004/5 and 2005/6 were based on estimates, but final figures released this year show some GPs were overpaid. Primary care organisations (PCOs) are now clawing money back from practices, which are liable whether or not the partners who benefited have now left.

Stuart Williamson, a partner at accountancy firm Williamson West said practices in England may have to repay up to £4,000 a year for the top earning GPs.

He said that practices where partners have retired recently are particularly vulnerable and could ‘face an uphill struggle' recouping the money.

‘I know of one practice that has lost more than £8,000 and another where a partner has emigrated and the practice has to pay back £2,424 on her behalf.

‘It could be enormously difficult for practices to get the money back, especially if a partner has since died,' he said.

At least one PCT has offered a partial reprieve. Gloucestershire LMC secretary Mike Forster said NHS Gloucestershire had agreed not to ‘ask practices to pursue the estates of dead partners'.

But he added that ‘in the case of partners who have moved to other practices or ceased to be partners there may be negotiation to be done'.

GPC deputy chairman Dr Richard Vautrey hoped other PCOs would copy Gloucestershire's approach.

Mr Williamson warned practices to prepare for possible over-estimates in future years, adding that final seniority factors had not yet been calculated beyond 2005/6.

See this week's GP, dated 20 November, for the full story



Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins


Already registered?

Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus