The cash saving actions are:
- Preventing avoidable pressure ulcers,
- Preventing falls,
- Keeping nourished,
- Promoting normal births,
- Where to die when the time comes,
- Reducing sickness absence among staff,
- Nurse or midwife-led discharge, and,
- Protection from infection.
The report called ‘High Impact Actions for Nursing and Midwifery: The Essential Collection’ showcases 31 case studies that demonstrate what is being achieved to transform and improve quality of care while reducing cost.
Examples include Newham PCT in east London which saved £1.5m by focusing on preventing avoidable ulcers.
Also community nursing staff in Solihull, West Midlands, supported patients who wanted to die at home. The National Audit Office found that 40% of those who die in hospital have no medical need to be there.