The scheme could see radical redesign of the clinical workforce in parts of the country, the development of new contractual models and changes to the procurement of NHS services.
The announcement of 29 sites that will trial new care models marks the first major step in implementing NHS England’s Five Year Forward View vision for the health service.
From April, NHS England will begin working with the vanguard areas across the country, evaluating the effectiveness of different models for integrating care.
Areas chosen to trial the new models of care will operate as one of three models.
Multispecialty community providers (MCPs) will aim to move services out of hospitals and into the community.
Integrated primary and acute care systems (PACs) will join up GP, community, mental health and hospital services.
Models of enhanced care in care homes will aim to improve services for older people, joining up health, care and rehabilitation.
GPC chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul said: ‘NHS England's "vanguard" proposals do represent a radical change to the way patient care is delivered in the NHS.
‘If implemented properly and led by clinicians, these models have the potential to break down disruptive organisational barriers between GP, hospital and community services.’
He warned that NHS England must ensure resources moved into primary care along with work moving out of hospitals, and that general practice must retain its identity.
NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens said: 'The NHS now has its own long-term plan, backed by just about everybody, and today we’re firing the starting gun.
'Instead of the usual top-down administrative tinkering, we’re backing radical care redesign by frontline nurses, doctors and other staff - in partnership with their patients and local communities. From Wakefield to Whitstable, and Yeovil to Harrogate, we’re going to see distinctive solutions to shared challenges, which the whole of the NHS will be able to learn from.'
- Wirral Health and Social Care Economy
- Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
- Salford Royal Foundation Trust
- Harrogate and Rural District CCG
- Fylde Coast Local Health Economy
- Calderdale Health and Social Care Economy
- West Wakefield and Wellbeing Ltd
- Sunderland CCG and Sunderland City Council
- Stockport Together
- NHS West Cheshire CCG/Primary Care Cheshire
- Airedale NHS FT
- NHS Wakefield CCG
- NHS Gateshead CCG
Midlands and East
Mid Nottinghamshire CCGs (Mansfield and Ashfield and Newark and Sherwood CCGs)
- Erewash CCG and primary and community care providers
- Vitality (Birmingham)
- Dudley CCG
- Lakeside Healthcare (Northamptonshire)
- Principia (Rushcliffe)
Nottingham City CCG
Tower Hamlets Integrated Provider Partnership
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS FT
- North East Hampshire and Farnham CCG
- Isle of Wight
- Whitstable Medical Practice, Northgate Medical Practice & Saddleton Road & Seasalter
- Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
East and North Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group