Letters, calls and emails: Another diploma option in sexual health

Dear Editor

I would like to express a comment, although rather belatedly, on the article ‘Become an expert on Sexual Health’ by Dr Lizzie Croton (GP 29, September).  

Dr Croton suggests that the Diploma from the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists is the key diploma to obtain knowledge in sexual health relevant to general practice. I would like to suggest that the Diploma of the Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive HealthCare is more appropriate. It composed of both theoretical and practical training. The theory course is run over three days with six modules comprising all methods of contraception knowledge of sexuality and behaviour.  

The practical training is a competence-based and organised around the needs of each individual trainee, supervised by a faculty instructing doctor. Other appropriate doctors can  supervise practical training. Recertification is required every five years.  

For further information visit www.ffprhc.org.uk.  

Dr M Rees  

Lymm, Cheshire

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins


Already registered?

Sign in

Follow Us:

Just published

Girl receiving vaccine

GPs raise 'substantial concerns' over workload impact of polio boosters

London GP leaders have raised 'substantial concerns' that practices do not have the...

GP consultation

Patient satisfaction with GPs varies more than two-fold between PCNs

Overall patient satisfaction with general practice varies more than two-fold between...

Dr Lucy McKay, CEO Medics4RareDiseases

Viewpoint: GPs can support patients with rare diseases without being expert in their condition

Around 1 in 17 people in the UK are affected by a rare disease. Dr Lucy McKay explains...

Polio vaccine

GP practices likely to spearhead polio booster campaign for all children in London aged 1-9

All children aged between one and nine in Greater London are to be offered a polio...

Medicines on shelf in a pharmacy

Medicine shortages increased in past year piling workload pressure on GPs

Medicine shortages have become worse during the past year, leading to increased GP...

The team at Minehead Medical Centre

Somerset GP practice converts to John Lewis-style employee-ownership model

A GP practice in Somerset has become the first in England to operate as a John Lewis-style...