GPs 'must urge public to exercise', MPs warn

GPs should 'take urgent action' to communicate the benefits of exercise to the public, a House of Commons health select committee report has said.

Consultation: GPs should urge patients to exercise (Photo: JH Lancy)
Consultation: GPs should urge patients to exercise (Photo: JH Lancy)

The report, The Impact of Physical Activity and Diet on Health, says that physical activity should no longer be recommended solely for weight loss, but that there needs to be a ‘far greater emphasis’ on its wider benefits.

GPs need to spread the message that ‘physical activity in its own right has huge health benefits totally independent of a person’s weight’, the report says.

‘It is vital that the importance of physical activity for all the population—regardless of their weight, age, gender, health, or other factors—is clearly articulated and understood,’ the health committee wrote.

‘We recommend that the government, Public Health England (PHE) and health professionals, in particular GPs, take urgent action to communicate this crucial message to the public.’

Obesity prevention

The report echoed PHE adviser Charles Alessi’s call for diabetes and obesity prevention schemes to be as accessible as smoking cessation programmes.

‘We recommend that primary care takes the lead, as it does for smoking cessation, in promoting physical activity and preventing obesity - these topics should not be off limits during consultations,’ the report said.

Thirty-minute bursts of moderate exercise, five times a week, should bring ‘dramatic benefits’ to patients, reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.

The committee cited evidence from Dr William Bird, a GP with an interest in physical activity. He said: ‘Only 10% of the benefits of physical activity for cardiovascular disease are weight-related. The other 90% are the anti- inflammatory effects - the other aspects of cellular change that take place when you are physically active.’

Twenty minutes of exercise a day for angina patients was more effective than a coronary stent, he told the committee.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register

Already registered?

Sign in

Follow Us:

Just published

Government stripped of power to suspend pensions for doctors facing unproven charges

Government stripped of power to suspend pensions for doctors facing unproven charges

Controversial powers allowing the government to suspend pension payments for doctors...

RCGP pulls plug on oil and gas conference after protests

RCGP pulls plug on oil and gas conference after protests

The RCGP has cancelled an oil and gas exploration conference booked to take place...

BMA to hold special conference after GP leaders reject 2020 contract offer

BMA to hold special conference after GP leaders reject 2020 contract offer

GP leaders have voted to hold a special conference after rejecting a package of contract...

Promise of 6,000 more GPs 'a pipedream' without investment, NHS leaders warn

Promise of 6,000 more GPs 'a pipedream' without investment, NHS leaders warn

Government promises to deliver 6,000 more GPs and 50m appointments are no more than...

Flu tracker: How flu levels are affecting GP workload across the UK

Flu tracker: How flu levels are affecting GP workload across the UK

Flu levels have spiked early in the 2019/20 season. Keep track of how levels of the...

Pension tax plan 'will fail to solve NHS workforce crisis', BMA warns

Pension tax plan 'will fail to solve NHS workforce crisis', BMA warns

BMA leaders have warned that raising the income threshold at which tax on pensions...