Eight GPs have been awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2018 New Year’s Honours list, which recognises the achievement and service of ‘extraordinary people across the United Kingdom’.
This year’s list includes Dr Tracey Vell, chair of Greater Manchester LMCs, who has played a role in developing the multispecialty community provider (MCP) contract that could bring practices across England together in at-scale working arrangements. Dr Vell is also primary care lead for the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership - the organisation set up to run a fully devolved £6bn health and social care budget for the city.
Media GP Dr Sarah Jarvis, who regularly appears on the BBC’s The One Show and The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2 is also on the list.
Full list of GPs awarded an MBE
- Dr Anwara Ali. General practitioner, The Spitalfields Practice, East London. For services to community healthcare.
- Dr Jane Bruce. Lately clinical director, out of hours service, NHS Tayside. For services to general practice and primary care services in Tayside.
- Dr Alistair Mark Emslie-Smith. General practitioner, Arthurstone Medical Centre, Dundee. For services to healthcare, particularly diabetes treatment in Scotland.
- Dr David Martyn Evans. Lately general practitioner, Budleigh Salterton Health Centre. For services to the community in Budleigh Salterton, Devon.
- Dr Sarah Caroline Jarvis. General practitioner, Shepherd's Bush, London. For services to general practice and public understanding of health.
- Dr Sanjiv Kumar Shridhar. General practitioner, Nantwich, Cheshire. For services to primary care.
- Dr Tracey Vell. General practitioner, Surrey Lodge Group Practice, Greater Manchester. For services to primary care.
- Dr John Albert Wood. General practitioner, St Elizabeth's Medical Centre. For services to general practice in Leicester.