It is time to stop being a superhero. The secret of staying sane is to follow the rule of five:
- Give yourself a break of five minutes after seeing five patients.
- Laugh for five minutes five times a week. Do it at work and at home.
- Eat dark chocolates five times a week. Keep a box in your room.
- Work only five days a week.
- Be nice to your partner five times a week.
- Drink red wine five times a week.
- Do five good things a week - eat healthily and exercise five times a week; drink five glasses of water five times a week; go shopping five times a week; and read five good journals five times a week.
- Say 'no' to five things daily and see how good you feel. Try refusing extra patients, visits, DSS letters and housing letters.
- Arrive in your surgery five minutes early.
- Just for five minutes, forget about access, and go home early five days in a week.
Who says you can't work for another five years in general practice?
Dr Anita Sharma, Oldham, Lancashire.