- Miller RG, Mitchell JD, Lyon M et al. Riluzole for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/motor neuron disease (MND). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002; (2): CD001447
This Cochrane review of riluzole treatment of ALS concludes that riluzole 50mg twice daily does provide a modest survival benefit in ALS.
- Bourke SC, Tomlinson, M, Wiliams TL et al. Effects of non-invasive ventilation on survival and quality of life in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2006; 5: 140-7.
This trial of NIV in ALS gives good evidence that NIV confers a modest survival benefit and improves quality of life.
- Langmore SE, Kasarskis EJ, Manca ML et al. Enteral tube feeding for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006 ; (4):CD004030
This Cochrane review of the evidence supporting enteral feeding in ALS concluded that there may be a survival benefit.
- NICE. Guidelines on the use of non-invasive ventilation in the management of MND. CG105. London, NICE, 2010. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG105
- Talbot K, Turner MR, Marsden R et al. Motor Neuron Disease. A Practical Manual. Oxford University Press, Oxford. 2009.
This book is a good and concise guide to the care of MND patients.
- Lindquist UC. Rowing without oars. John Murray, London, 2005.
This is a moving patient account of living with MND.
The RCGP covers this topic in statement 15.7 Neurological problems.
- The website of the MND Association provides information about MND for healthcare professionals and patients. www.mnda.org
- The ALS Association, which is based in the US, is another very well respected resource. www.alsa.org
Contributed by Dr Clare Wood-Allum, lecturer in neurology and honorary registrar, and Dr Christopher McDermott, lecturer and consultant neurologist for University of Sheffield and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.