- Bollerslev J, Jansson S, Mollerup CL et al. Medical observation, compared with parathyroidectomy, for asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: a prospective, randomized trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 1687-92.
- Davies M, Fraser WD, Hoskin DJ. The management of primary hyperparathyroidism. Clin Endocrinol 2002; 57: 145-55.
- Bilezikian JP, Khan AA, Potts JT Jr. Guidelines for the management of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94: 335-9.
- NICE. Hyperparathyroidism - cinacalcet guidance. TA 117. London, NICE, 2007.
This topic is covered under section 15.6 of the RCGP curriculum 'Metabolic Problems'
- Turner HE, Wass JAH. Oxford Handbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes. Second edition. Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Kennedy L, Basu A. Problem solving in endocrinology and metabolism. 1st edition. Clinical Publishing, 2007.
- Society for Endocrinology. www.endocrinology.org The education section of this site includes bone disorders.
- National Institute for Health. www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper/hyper.htm This website has useful information on hyperparathyroidism.
Contributed by Dr Angela Rogers, specialist registrar, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, and Professor John Wass, consultant endocrinologist, Churchill Hospital, and professor of endocrinology, University of Oxford