- Lim WS, Baudouin SV, George RC et al. British Thoracic Society guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in adults: update 2009. Thorax 2009; 64: supp iii.
- Burkhardt O, Ewig S, Giersdorf S et al. Procalcitonin guidance and reduction of antibiotic use in acute respiratory tract infection. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 601-7.
For an alternative view:
- Infectious Disease Society of America/American Thoracic Society Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Community Acquired Pneumonia in Adults. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44: supp 2.
- This topic is covered in Statement 15.8 of the RCGP curriculum, Respiratory Problems.
- The Community-Acquired Pneumonia Organisation. www.caposite.com/caposite/
This excellent resource centre collects worldwide data on CAP and has resulted in a number of publications, which are available on the website.
Contributed by Dr Simon Barry, consultant chest physician, University Hospital Llandough