Supplementing post-menopausal women with vitamin D and calcium improves hip bone density, but does not reduce hip fracture, say US researchers. Their study assigned 36,282 postmenopausal women aged between 50 and 79 to receive either 1,000mg calcium carbonate with 400 IU vitamin D3 daily, or placebo. After seven years, hip bone density was 1.1 per cent higher in the supplement group but their risk of hip fracture was not reduced significantly (NEJM 2006; 354: 669-83).
- Specialist in Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine or General Practice St Helena Saint Helena
- GP Position (Interim-Salaried) £11,000 a session (30% more than a ‘traditional’ salaried post) McGinley Central Services South West London
- Salaried GP Vacancy in Chesterfield - up to £10,500 per session + MDU+ NI + Pension- Full/Part Time MedMatch Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Salaried GP Vacancy in Berkshire- up to £10,000 per session + MDU + NI + Pension – part/full time MedMatch Berkshire
- Salaried GP - Derby (various sessions) IMH Group Derbyshire