The DoH and NHS Connecting for Health invited PCTs to express an interest in becoming initial implementers for Release 2 of the Electronic Prescription Service. Over one-third responded.
As a result of this process the following PCTs have been selected to go live from 1st October 2007.
- Berkshire East
- Leicestershire County and Rutland
In addition, the following PCTs have been selected as a second wave to go live no earlier than 1st January 2008.
- Berkshire West
- Birmingham East and North
- Blackburn with Darwin
- City and Hackney
- Isle of Wight
- North East Lincolnshire
- Nottingham City
- Nottingham County
Release 2 provides enhanced functionality for users and will deliver tangible benefits for patients, prescribers and dispensers. These include for example:
- Patients will have the option to select, or 'nominate' a pharmacy or other dispensing contractor to which their prescription can be sent automatically - without the need for the patient to collect a prescription from their GP first.
- A significant reduction in workload for prescribers and practice staff as a result of simplifying the repeat prescription management process. This includes the reduction in work generated by patients requesting and collecting individual prescriptions and the ability to make wider use of the repeat dispensing service.
- Freeing dispensing staff from the work associated with re-keying prescription information, and, because some electronic prescriptions may be received prior to the patient arriving, also giving dispensers scope to streamline workflow by preparing medications in advance
- Potentially enabling dispensers to manage stock control more effectively and order out-of-stock items in a timelier manner