GP PENSIONS TOOLKIT
- NHS could suffer 'staff shortages' due to early retirements, report warns
- Locums slash fees after superannuation change
- Viewpoint: 2013/14 GP pay award could see income drop 3.8%
- NHS pension reforms 'rushed and unfair', warns BMA
- State pension reforms to benefit self-employed GPs
- GPs in Scotland face full weight of UK pension reforms
- GPs urged to express views on pension reforms
- GP Pensions Timeline
- GPs face bigger pension tax bill in Autumn Statement
- BMA Scotland rules out strike action over pensions
mEDECONOMICS PENSIONS ARTICLES
Ensuring you are being paid the right seniority income requires some sleuthing.
Russell Finn explains how to work out if you are above or below the annual allowance limit.
Weigh up private sector options before deciding to stay in or leave the NHSPS. By Stephen Caps
Phil Mileham advises planning ahead in stages and starting this well before the year you will retire.
Phil Mileham explains how GPs can protect their pensions ahead of the reduction of the lifetime allowance to £1.5m from £1.8m in April.
There are perils to avoid for GPs returning to work after taking their NHS pension. By Dr Tony Grewal
Stephen Caps on the implications for your NHS pension benefits and the timing of your retirement.
GP PENSIONS TIMELINE
ASK THE EXPERTS
Our pensions experts can answer your questions. Click on the experts' profiles to ask a financial question.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
Ask the experts: What ill-health retirement benefits are due to a GP principal who has had to resign due to long-term health problems? Kevin Quinn explains that the level of benefits paid out depends on whether a GP applied before, or after, their last day of pensionable service.
Ask the experts: Can a GP be forced to retire at a date more convenient for the practice, or when they choose? Jenny Stone explains how practices can get around the problem of a partner retiring just after the accounting year-end.
Ask the experts: When is the best time to retire without any actuarial reduction? Kevin Quinn outlines when early retirement factors apply to both main scheme and added years benefits.
Ask the experts: What happens to superannuation contributions for a GP working under the 24-hour retirement rule? Jenny Stone explains how a partner taking 24-hour retirement and not making superannuation contributions can take higher drawings.
Taking 24-hour retirement Kevin Quinn explains restrictions on hours worked under '24-hour retirement' rules
Ask the experts: Cost to practices of locum superannuation change Jenny Stone explains how changes to locum superannuation payments, which will be introduced as part of the government's plans for the GMS contract, will affect practices.
GP PENSION RESOURCES
A DH factsheet explaining the government's proposals for a 2015 NHS pension scheme.
The DH has developed a calculator to allow NHS workers to see how changes to contribution rates from 2012/13 will affect them.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester