Girl dies after being 'misdiagnosed' with swine flu

A girl of two has died of suspected meningitis after paramedics apparently misdiagnosed her with swine flu.

Swine flu (Photograph: Science Photo Library)
Swine flu (Photograph: Science Photo Library)

The death comes as a GP newspaper poll revealed that almost nine out of 10 GPs think that diagnosing flu over the phone will mean other diseases may be missed.

The girl's aunt initially called the hotline and was passed to NHS Direct which said that if the two-year-old's temperature reached 104F she should go to hospital. Her parents called for a paramedic after the girl's condition worsened, according to the Daily Mail.

But the family say that when the paramedic arrived at their home, they dismissed the possibility of meningitis and instead prescribed antivirals and bed rest.

An hour later the girl's heart stopped and she was rushed to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

A spokesman for Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital confirmed that the girl was taken to hospital by ambulance and that resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful.

sanjay.tanday@haymarket.com

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register

Already registered?

Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus