AGAPANTHUS CAMPANULATUS ALLIACEAE
- African blue lily from Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and Lesotho.
- Flowers of love.
- Deciduous, narrow strap-shaped greyish green leaves.
- Pale to dark blue, bell-shaped flowers, mid to late summer.
- Height 1m; spread 50cm.
- Hardy. Protect from frost. Root will survive and re-sprout.
- Divide plants in February to April.
- Cultivated variety: Purple sensation.
- Ornamental onions.
- Strap-like, pale green leaves.
- Dense, spherical rich purple heads, June to July.
- Height 90cm; spread 7cm.
- Full hardy.
- Split and divide large clumps in autumn or spring.
- Dr Vasa Gnanapragasam is a GP in Sutton, Surrey.