CQC should be scrapped immediately, LMCs demand

GPs have backed calls for the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to be scrapped, effectively passing a vote of no confidence in the organisation.

Dr Mark Corcoran: the recent BBC Panorama exposé of a care home in Bristol where patients were subject to ‘horrific acts of violence’ highlighted the failings of the CQC
Dr Mark Corcoran: the recent BBC Panorama exposé of a care home in Bristol where patients were subject to ‘horrific acts of violence’ highlighted the failings of the CQC

But LMCs rejected a call to boycott registration with the CQC after a warning from GPC leaders that to do so would be illegal.

The DoH told GPonline.com it will not scrap the commission but would in contrast seek to strengthen its role.

Concerns were raised at the annual conference of LMCs in London on Friday that 'shambolic' plans for CQC registration would be burdensome, expensive and take GPs away from caring for patients.

Dr Mark Corcoran, a member of Avon LMC, also said the recent BBC Panorama exposé of a care home in Bristol where patients were subject to ‘horrific acts of violence’ highlighted the failings of the CQC. He urged the conference to pass a vote of no confidence in the CQC.

He said: ‘I really believe this country is paralysing itself with red tape and box ticking exercises. Now this is set to seriously threaten general practice.

‘What are the chances that they [CQC] bring around any sizeable difference to patient healthcare. CQC does not have the right approach and the evidence now suggests it’s not effective.’

Dr John Canning, secretary of Cleveland LMC, urged delegates to exercise caution in calling for the CQC to be scrapped. He warned abolishing the organisation would cause ‘chaos’ and leave a gap in the regulation of the health service.

He said: ‘If we got rid of CQC who would do it? If we take it take away, then we will need to set up a new organisation. How long would it take before it is fit for purpose?

‘Everybody knows that when there is change there is a problem and nasty things go through.’

But the motion calling for the CQC to be scrapped immediately was passed by conference.

Dr Russell Brown, a member of East Sussex LMC, warned that the CQC registration process was a ‘pointless’ and ‘bureaucratic’ process. He said the experience of health professionals who had already gone through it highlighted that the process was ‘shambolic’.

Dr Ivan Camphor, a member of Mid Mersey LMC, said many of the CQC requirements would put more burden on an already ‘beleaguered profession’.

He said: ‘I believe patient care will suffer. The administrative burden is huge and the forms are far too complicated. GPs have not had a pay rise for last four years. The CQC registration is another way to deliver a pay cut.’

A DoH spokeswoman said: 'We will not scrap the CQC - we are committed to strengthening its role as a quality inspectorate. Good regulation in health and social care is very important, and CQC works alongside professional body regulators, commissioners and providers themselves.'

She continued: 'Through the commission's registration work, and projects like its dignity and nutrition inspection programme, the commission has identified areas where levels of care are unacceptable and required the organisations concerned to make improvements to raise the quality and safety of services.

'Our proposals for HealthWatch will strengthen the patient voice in the health and social care system. Local HealthWatch will be able to ask CQC to investigate services where they have concerns.'

 

MORE LMC CONFERENCE COVERAGE

GPs have passed an effective vote of no confidence in the CQC and called for the regulator to be scrapped immediately.  
Concerns were raised as the annual conference of LMCs on Friday that the plans for CQC registration will be burdensome, expensive and will take GPs away from caring for patients.
Dr Mark Corcoran, a member of Avon LMC, said the recent BBC Panorama expose of a care home in Bristol where patients where subject to ‘horrific acts of violence’ highlighted the failings of the CQC. He urged the conference to pass a vote of no confidence in the CQC.
He said: ‘I really believe this country is paralysing itself with red tape and box ticking exercises. Now this is set to seriously threat general practice.
‘What are the chances that they [CQC] being around any sizeable difference to patient healthcare. CQC does not have the right approach and the evidence now suggests it’s not effective.’
But Dr John Canning, secretary of Cleveland LMC, urged delegates to exercise caution in calling for the CQC to be scrapped. He warned abolishing the organisation would cause ‘chaos’ and leave a gap in the regulation of the health service.  
He said: ‘If got rid of CQC who would do it? If we take it take away, then we will need to set up new organisation. How long would it take before it is fit for purpose?
‘Everybody knows that when there is change there is a problem and nasty things go through.’
But the motion calling for the CQC to be scrapped immediately was passed by conference.
It followed a separate motion raised by Dr Russell Brown, a member of East Sussex LMC, where he warned that the CQC registration process is a ‘pointless’ and ‘bureaucratic’ process.
He said experience of health professionals who have already gone through registration highlight that the process is ‘shambolic’.
Dr Ivan Camphor, a member of Mid Mersey, said many of the CQC requirements will put more burden on an already ‘beleaguered profession’.
He said: ‘I believe patient care will suffer. The administrative burden is huge and the forms are far too complicated. GPs have not had a pay rise for last four years. The CQC registration is another way to deliver a pay cut.’
GPs have passed an effective vote of no confidence in the CQC and called for the regulator to be scrapped immediately.  
Concerns were raised as the annual conference of LMCs on Friday that the plans for CQC registration will be burdensome, expensive and will take GPs away from caring for patients.
Dr Mark Corcoran, a member of Avon LMC, said the recent BBC Panorama expose of a care home in Bristol where patients where subject to ‘horrific acts of violence’ highlighted the failings of the CQC. He urged the conference to pass a vote of no confidence in the CQC.
He said: ‘I really believe this country is paralysing itself with red tape and box ticking exercises. Now this is set to seriously threat general practice.
‘What are the chances that they [CQC] being around any sizeable difference to patient healthcare. CQC does not have the right approach and the evidence now suggests it’s not effective.’
But Dr John Canning, secretary of Cleveland LMC, urged delegates to exercise caution in calling for the CQC to be scrapped. He warned abolishing the organisation would cause ‘chaos’ and leave a gap in the regulation of the health service.  
He said: ‘If got rid of CQC who would do it? If we take it take away, then we will need to set up new organisation. How long would it take before it is fit for purpose?
‘Everybody knows that when there is change there is a problem and nasty things go through.’
But the motion calling for the CQC to be scrapped immediately was passed by conference.
It followed a separate motion raised by Dr Russell Brown, a member of East Sussex LMC, where he warned that the CQC registration process is a ‘pointless’ and ‘bureaucratic’ process.
He said experience of health professionals who have already gone through registration highlight that the process is ‘shambolic’.
Dr Ivan Camphor, a member of Mid Mersey, said many of the CQC requirements will put more burden on an already ‘beleaguered profession’.
He said: ‘I believe patient care will suffer. The administrative burden is huge and the forms are far too complicated. GPs have not had a pay rise for last four years. The CQC registration is another way to deliver a pay cut.’

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Register

Already registered?

Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus