GPs given vitamin D prescribing advice
By Stephen Robinson, 14 March 2012
GPs have been told which vitamin D supplements they can prescribe to prevent deficiency in line with recent CMO advice, following reports of supply problems and the use of costly alternative products.
Last month, GP leaders warned that 'erratic' supplies of vitamin D drugs and the use of expensive bespoke products were pushing up NHS costs.
UK CMOs had called for better awareness of the risks of vitamin D deficiency in a letter to health professionals in early February.
They asked GPs to alert patients at risk of vitamin D deficiency and inform them of how to get free supplements to prevent diseases such as rickets.
Now, advice from the London Medicines Information Service sets out 19 products costing between £0.91 and £141.68 that GPs and the NHS can prescribe to patients to fulfil the CMOs' recommendations.
These include low-cost, government-funded Healthy Start vitamins as well as more expensive liquid forms manufactured as made-to-order products called 'specials'.
The advice also includes details of availability.
Last month, GP revealed that the NHS prescribed expensive unlicensed vitamin D medicines costing up to £2,400 in 2011.
GP had previously found that primary care prescribing costs for vitamin D have tripled since 2004 and will hit £100m by 2013.
- Related Drug Categories
- Vitamins and tonics
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Salaried GP Post available, Hampshire, up to £8000 per session, Part and full-time options Merco Up to £8k per session + benefits, Hampshire, South Central region
- General Practitioners - Leigh Family Practices and Leigh Sports Village IntraHealth Competitive, Wigan
- Salary GP with view to Partnership White House Surgery - Folkestone Competitive - To be discussed, Folkestone - Kent
- Locum GPs needed urgently in North West England for Walk in Centres / Surgery Cover / OOH Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, North West and Surrounding areas
- GP Locums Wanted for Surgeries, OOH, WIC, UCC, Prisons - London Locum Staffing Excellent Rates, London