Health headlines: Diabetes 'time bomb', Alzheimer's treatment, packaging chemical risk
By Nick Bostock, 29 June 2011
Read our daily round-up of health stories making the national news. Don't forget to tell us your views.
Diabetes warning - BBC
Hundreds of thousands of diabetes patients with high blood sugar levels could need urgent hospital treatment within years if their conditions are not better managed.
NHS faces 'diabetes time bomb'
Alzheimer's treatment - Daily Mirror
Scientists hope to develop a treatment for Alzheimer's from a compound found in cinnamon bark after finding it inhibits growth of plaques in the brain.
Cinnamon extract could stop Alzheimer's
Packaging chemical fears - Daily Mail
A chemical found in some food packaging may inhibit production of testosterone, a mouse study has suggested.
Could food-packaging chemical rob men of their sex appeal?
- Health Headlines: Organ donation, breast cancer, elderly care funding
- Health Headlines: NHS reforms may damage trust, DNA edited and 'slash and burn' cuts
- Health Headlines: Diabetes treatment, flu vaccine and prescription advice
- Health Headlines: Commissioning, detecting Alzheimer's and the health and safety 'straitjacket'
- Health Headlines: Over-65s' drinking, pillow infection risk and breastfeeding rise
- Health headlines: Eye tests prevent falls, ME not caused by virus and hospitals must close
- Health Headlines: Lansley plays down changes, heart disease and home care
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Full Time Partner/Salaried GP (8 sessions) to replace retiring Partner Stirling Road Surgery Details available on request, Devon
- 7 session Partner Chobham and West End Medical Practice Profit Sharing Partner, North West Surrey
- SALARIED /LONG TERM LOCUM LEADING TO FIXED SHARE PARTNERSHIP White City Health Centre £70000 TO £80000 but salary negotiable and dependent on experience and qualifications., London W12 7PH & Southall UB1 1JH
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- Fears over NHS England capacity to manage general practice
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.