Although public confusion over flu and its symptoms is rife, presentations to GPs are down.
INFECTIOUS DISEASES TOOLKIT
In this section you will find all of our relevant articles from trusted sources to give you an overview of the diagnosis and management of common and less common infectious diseases.
We've also gathered together key news stories and opinions from our publications, as well as links to important external resources and organisations.
LMCs have warned GPs in London to prepare for the 'inevitable' arrival of the measles outbreak in the capital and warned it could kill hundreds.
GP consultations for flu are rising in the UK with school children in England worst affected, latest figures from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) show.
England's CMO has signalled that GPs can now prescribe antivirals on the NHS, after flu cases in children soared.
Health minister Dr Dan Poulter and shadow chancellor Ed Balls were among 80 MPs and peers who attended the annual House of Commons flu vaccination clinic on Wednesday.
Disruptions to deliveries of seasonal flu vaccine in the UK could hit patient uptake this winter unless supplies resume soon, the RCGP has warned.
Local shortages of flu vaccines are affecting some GP practices in England following disruption to supplies from one manufacturer, and GPs have contacted the DH about its emergency reserve.
Professor John Oxford reflects on how this Darwinian virus came to dominate the 2010/11 flu season.
Pregnant women are now considered a high-risk group for swine flu and should be counselled about early signs and symptoms. By Dr Alexandra Ridout and Mr Wai Yoong
SEASONAL FLU RESOURCES
Quick links to key documents and online resources
OTHER INFECTIOUS DISEASES
Contributed by Dr Ian Campbell, honorary consultant physician, University Hospital Llandough, Cardiff, and Dr Matt Brouns, registrar in respiratory medicine, Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny.
Clinical features depend on patient factors and the infecting organism, explains Dr Harry Brown.
Contributed by Dr Charlotte Hopkins and Dr R Monica Lascar, consultants in HIV and genitourinary medicine at Whipps Cross University Hospital, London.
Dr Jean Watkins discusses the differences between genital herpes zoster and herpes simplex
Patients should understand the nature of this recurrent viral disease.
The shingles rash may resemble contact dermatitis or impetigo, explains Dr Judy Duckworth.
IFH is a non-governmental, charitable organisation that is working to raise awareness of the importance of hygiene in the domestic setting and to develop and promote an approach to home hygiene based on sound scientific evidence. IFH has produced a range of materials including scientific reviews, guidelines, training materials and briefing documents on hygiene and hygiene issues, downloadable from the IFH website.
The Hygiene Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is a research group devoted to developing a better understanding of hygiene and sanitation practices to help inform public health policy in developed and developing countries.
Advice sheets from IFH
- Swine flu: preventing spread in the home and community
- Colds, flu and other respiratory infections in the home
- Conjunctivitis: prevention by good hygiene at home
- Impetigo: prevention by good hygiene at home
- Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and the home
- Escherichia coli O157: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Norovirus: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Campylobacter: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Shigella: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Clostridium difficile: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Extended-spectrum ?-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli (ESBLs) and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Salmonella: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
- Rotavirus: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home
Resources to help you meet the learning requirements of the RCGP curriculum
User-friendly way to store and organise CPD materials
Practice management resources