Fracture risk scheme could save £50,000 per practice
By Stephen Robinson, 07 January 2013
A project to prevent hip fractures by scanning GP practice lists to identify and treat high-risk patients aims to cut hospital costs by more than £50,000 per practice.
Clinicians in Newcastle upon Tyne are in talks with local CCGs to roll the project out across the city, after a successful pilot in three GP practices.
The project, Preventing Fractures in Newcastle, uses a computer program to scan patient records for risk factors linked to fragility fractures.
These include age, sex, smoking and neglected factors such as personal and family history of fragility fracture. Patients are then referred to primary care teams to start treatment to lower the risk.
Dr Terry Aspray, a consultant in metabolic bone disease at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said preventing two hip fractures per practice could save more than £50,000 per practice per year, or £1.8m across the whole city.
He told GP magazine: 'We piloted the process in three practices, but we're working across the whole city, across two commissioning groups, to develop a pathway that is robust for the future.'
Dr Aspray said that the average practice might have 200 at-risk patients who could benefit from fracture risk checks.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent