Fracture risk scheme could save £50,000 per practice
By Stephen Robinson, 07 January 2013
A project to prevent hip fractures by scanning GP practice lists to identify and treat high-risk patients aims to cut hospital costs by more than £50,000 per practice.
Clinicians in Newcastle upon Tyne are in talks with local CCGs to roll the project out across the city, after a successful pilot in three GP practices.
The project, Preventing Fractures in Newcastle, uses a computer program to scan patient records for risk factors linked to fragility fractures.
These include age, sex, smoking and neglected factors such as personal and family history of fragility fracture. Patients are then referred to primary care teams to start treatment to lower the risk.
Dr Terry Aspray, a consultant in metabolic bone disease at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said preventing two hip fractures per practice could save more than £50,000 per practice per year, or £1.8m across the whole city.
He told GP magazine: 'We piloted the process in three practices, but we're working across the whole city, across two commissioning groups, to develop a pathway that is robust for the future.'
Dr Aspray said that the average practice might have 200 at-risk patients who could benefit from fracture risk checks.
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire