GPs in Scotland fear cuts as health boards plan £220m savings
27 April 2012
GP leaders fear deep NHS cuts in Scotland after a report by MPs found its 14 health boards plan to make £226.7m savings in 2012/13.
The Health and Sport Committee report on the 14 boards' budget plans also revealed spending for Scotland's eight special health boards, such as its ambulance service and NHS24.These boards plan to make a total of £29.6m of further savings, the report found.
The report said that among others, Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board plans to save £58m, Tayside £24.5m and Highland £23.8m.
GPC Scotland chairman Dr Dean Marshall said: 'Savings equate to cuts. The idea that this government is trying to be more efficient doesn't add up as it implies you were hiring people and doing work that was not needed and that was not the case. They are cutting jobs and funding, and should be honest about it.
A spokeswoman for the Scottish government said: 'These figures are absolutely not cuts to the health budget. Boards are looking to make some services more efficient and any savings will be reinvested in local front line care. It's right that boards make sure the taxpayer gets the best possible value for money.'
Latest Articles from GP
- Rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis delayed by reliance on key test, GPs told
- Anticoagulation safe for CKD, study finds
- GPs back wider osteoporosis screening in primary care
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Salaried GP required in Coventry, up to £90K + Benefits in Traditional/UCC surgery Career Doctors Up to £90k + MDU + 5 Weeks Annual Leave + Additional Paid Study Leave, West Midlands, Coventry
- Full-time Salaried GP Rothschild House Surgery Negotiable for the right candidate, Hertfordshire practice bordering Buckinghamhire
- Locum GPs Needed - West Midlands and Surrounding Area Pegasus Medical £70 per hour, West Midlands and Surrounding Area
- Locum GPs Needed - Bristol and the Surrounding Areas Pegasus Medical Negotiable, Bristol and Surrounding Area