Rationing of health services across Europe is inevitable
By Nick Bostock, 30 March 2011
The cost of healthcare across Europe is rising faster than governments' ability to fund it, according to a report by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
The report identified seven key trends that will shape healthcare over the next two decades.
Health spending will continue to rise due to inflation, but also because governments realise better public health boosts economic growth.
Countries with universal healthcare models, however, will be forced to ration care and 'consolidate healthcare facilities', the report predicts.
It predicts that GPs will become ever more important as gatekeepers to the wider health systems in European countries and as 'co-ordinators' of treatment for patients with multiple long-term conditions.
Public health will have to improve to help health systems cut costs by promoting healthy behaviour, the report predicts, and governments will have to increase the transparency and quality of health data.
The report, The future of healthcare in Europe, goes on to predict a range of possible outcomes for healthcare in European countries depending on the decisions they take, ranging from bestto worst-case scenario outcomes.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland