Backing the Twitter-based #welovethenhs campaign, Dr Meldrum said: ‘It's great to see our leading politicians defending the NHS so robustly against these dishonest attacks from the American pro-market lobby.
‘But it's ironic that both Labour and the Conservatives are both pursuing policies which are moving us slowly towards an American-style system. If they really love the NHS, they should stop encouraging private companies to profit from it. It's not too late for our politicians to acknowledge that private provision of NHS services has wasted huge amounts of taxpayers' money.
‘They should listen to what doctors and nurses are saying and, as a start, ditch private management consultants from the NHS.'
- Should the leading parties abandon their pro-market health policies?
Editor's blog: Do we '#love the NHS' enough to be genuinely proactive?
- You can follow Healthcare Republic on Twitter at @HealthcareRep.
- GP and Independent Nurse editor Emma Bower is @EmmaBower
- GP and Independent Nurse deputy editor Neil Durham is @NeilDurham
- GP dispensing features editor and Independent Nurse features editor Sarah Wild is @Wild_Sarah
More news from 17 August