Tamsulosin now available OTC
By Tom Moberly, 08 April 2010
Tamsulosin is now available over-the-counter (OTC) to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Boehringer Ingelheim has launched tamsulosin 0.4mg as Flomax Relief.
The company expects the publicity campaign surrounding the launch to increase the number of men going to their GP to discuss prostate problems.
Hertfordshire GP Dr Mike Kirby said that the OTC availability of tamsulosin provided GPs with increased access to a hard-to-reach patient population, who are often reluctant to attend GP consultations.
‘GPs managing these patients may well identify risk factors or indicators for other conditions such as diabetes and heart disease which could otherwise have gone undetected,' he said.
Treatment with OTC tamsulosin will be initiated and largely supervised in pharmacy. But patients will have to visit their GP during the first six weeks of treatment for a BPH diagnosis.
- Related Drug Categories
- BPH, urinary retention
Latest Articles from GP
- Rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis delayed by reliance on key test, GPs told
- Anticoagulation safe for CKD, study finds
- GPs back wider osteoporosis screening in primary care
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Locum GP - Cambridgeshire and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Cambridgeshire areas and surrounding areas
- Locum GP - Cheshire and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Cheshire areas and surrounding areas
- Salaried GP required in Coventry, up to £90K + Benefits in Traditional/UCC surgery Career Doctors Up to £90k + MDU + 5 Weeks Annual Leave + Additional Paid Study Leave, West Midlands, Coventry
- Full-time Salaried GP Rothschild House Surgery Negotiable for the right candidate, Hertfordshire practice bordering Buckinghamhire
- Locum GPs Needed - West Midlands and Surrounding Area Pegasus Medical £70 per hour, West Midlands and Surrounding Area