NICE guide on neuropathic pain
26 March 2010
NICE has published the first national clinical guideline for treating neuropathic pain.
Writing in GP this week, Professor Blair H Smith, a member of the guideline development group, says: 'The recommendations will help GPs determine the best treatments for adults with this very difficult and distressing condition.
'The guideline also raises awareness of the diagnosis and the capacity in which neuropathic pain can be successfully treated in non-specialist healthcare settings.' He writes that the condition is not recognised in primary and community care.
The guideline includes a three-line approach for prescribing treatment for the condition and it advises on the most effective drugs for GPs to prescribe for neuropathic pain, which is estimated to affect 1 to 2 per cent of adults in the UK.
Dr Fergus Macbeth, director of the centre for clinical practice at NICE, said: 'Around 95 per cent of all patients with neuropathic pain are given medication to manage their pain, so it is important that health professionals are supported in providing the right treatments.'
|Featured pain resource - paineurope.com
| Pain management resource for healthcare professionals in Europe
paineurope.com is a promotional resource, funded by and prepared with editorial input from Mundipharma International Ltd, as a service to pain management.
Item Code: MINT/PPR-12008
Date of Preparation: May 2012
Send to a friend
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP The Higham Ferrers Surgery Salary negotiable , Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Hunt 'must recognise growing GP crisis', warns RCGP
- GP contract 'not to blame' for A&E pressure, NHS leaders say
- GP-patient relationship faces 'unprecedented strain'
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.