NICE guide on neuropathic pain
26 March 2010
NICE has published the first national clinical guideline for treating neuropathic pain.
Writing in GP this week, Professor Blair H Smith, a member of the guideline development group, says: 'The recommendations will help GPs determine the best treatments for adults with this very difficult and distressing condition.
'The guideline also raises awareness of the diagnosis and the capacity in which neuropathic pain can be successfully treated in non-specialist healthcare settings.' He writes that the condition is not recognised in primary and community care.
The guideline includes a three-line approach for prescribing treatment for the condition and it advises on the most effective drugs for GPs to prescribe for neuropathic pain, which is estimated to affect 1 to 2 per cent of adults in the UK.
Dr Fergus Macbeth, director of the centre for clinical practice at NICE, said: 'Around 95 per cent of all patients with neuropathic pain are given medication to manage their pain, so it is important that health professionals are supported in providing the right treatments.'
|Featured pain resource - paineurope.com
| Pain management resource for healthcare professionals in Europe
paineurope.com is a promotional resource, funded by and prepared with editorial input from Mundipharma International Ltd, as a service to pain management.
Item Code: MINT/PPR-12008
Date of Preparation: May 2012
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , Alberta in Canada
- GP Salford Health Matters Competitive salary, Salford
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester