NICE guide on neuropathic pain
26 March 2010
NICE has published the first national clinical guideline for treating neuropathic pain.
Writing in GP this week, Professor Blair H Smith, a member of the guideline development group, says: 'The recommendations will help GPs determine the best treatments for adults with this very difficult and distressing condition.
'The guideline also raises awareness of the diagnosis and the capacity in which neuropathic pain can be successfully treated in non-specialist healthcare settings.' He writes that the condition is not recognised in primary and community care.
The guideline includes a three-line approach for prescribing treatment for the condition and it advises on the most effective drugs for GPs to prescribe for neuropathic pain, which is estimated to affect 1 to 2 per cent of adults in the UK.
Dr Fergus Macbeth, director of the centre for clinical practice at NICE, said: 'Around 95 per cent of all patients with neuropathic pain are given medication to manage their pain, so it is important that health professionals are supported in providing the right treatments.'
|Featured pain resource - paineurope.com
| Pain management resource for healthcare professionals in Europe
paineurope.com is a promotional resource, funded by and prepared with editorial input from Mundipharma International Ltd, as a service to pain management.
Item Code: MINT/PPR-12008
Date of Preparation: May 2012
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Locum GP - Derbyshire and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Derbyshire areas and surrounding areas
- Locum GP - Cumbria and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Cumbria areas and surrounding areas