Experts warn on costs of generics
By Tom Moberly, 05 March 2010
Generic substitution could 'seriously jeopardise patient well being', doctors and charity leaders have warned.
Primary Care Dermatology Society executive chairman Dr Stephen Kownacki and primary care nurse practitioner Deborah Duncan were among 19 signatories of a letter to The Times, alongside hospital specialists and leading charities.
The cost of generic substitution - allowing pharmacists to switch branded drugs on prescriptions to generic alternatives - could be greater than any savings, the letter warned.
'Only the prescribing doctor or nurse knows the patient's medical history,' the letter says. 'Substitutions should never be made without their consent and awareness.'
The letter's authors recognised that there are cases where generic prescribing is appropriate, but pointed to 'clear evidence that, for some medicines, it may be dangerous'.
Last month, health minister Mike O'Brien launched a consultation on the DoH's plans for generic substitution in England. The proposals are open for comments (www.dh.gov.uk) until 30 March 2010.
Send to a friend
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP with a view to Partnership The Higham Ferrers Surgery Salary negotiable , Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire
- Partnership Opportunity Leen View Surgery Negotiable, East Midlands
- Part-time Partner Taff Riverside Practice Share of the profit, Position in Cardiff
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- GP contract 'not to blame' for A&E pressure, NHS leaders say
- Hunt 'must recognise growing GP crisis', warns RCGP
- GPC chairman warns GPs are 'strained beyond endurance'
- GP-patient relationship faces 'unprecedented strain'
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.