Experts warn on costs of generics
By Tom Moberly, 05 March 2010
Generic substitution could 'seriously jeopardise patient well being', doctors and charity leaders have warned.
Primary Care Dermatology Society executive chairman Dr Stephen Kownacki and primary care nurse practitioner Deborah Duncan were among 19 signatories of a letter to The Times, alongside hospital specialists and leading charities.
The cost of generic substitution - allowing pharmacists to switch branded drugs on prescriptions to generic alternatives - could be greater than any savings, the letter warned.
'Only the prescribing doctor or nurse knows the patient's medical history,' the letter says. 'Substitutions should never be made without their consent and awareness.'
The letter's authors recognised that there are cases where generic prescribing is appropriate, but pointed to 'clear evidence that, for some medicines, it may be dangerous'.
Last month, health minister Mike O'Brien launched a consultation on the DoH's plans for generic substitution in England. The proposals are open for comments (www.dh.gov.uk) until 30 March 2010.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester
- OOH LOCUM GP REQUIRED FOR EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS Quattro Recruitment Earn up to £75 per hour, Cheshire / Lancashire / Merseyside / Liverpool, Merseyside / Manchester, Greater Manchester