Malignant tumour caused HPV jab girl's death
By Neil Durham, 01 October 2009
A 14-year-old girl who received the HPV vaccine died from a malignant tumour and not a reaction to the jab.
Natalie Morton died after receving the Cervarix jab at the Blue Coat Church of England School in Coventry on Monday.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned at Coventry magistrates court on Thursday.
Dr Caron Grainger, joint director of public health for NHS Coventry and Coventry City Council, said afterwards: 'The pathologist has confirmed today at the opening of the inquest into the death of Natalie Morton that she died from a large malignant tumour of unknown origin in the heart and lungs.
'There is no indication that the HPV vaccine, which she had received shortly before her death, was a contributing factor to the death, which could have arisen at any point.
'We hope that this news will reassure parents that the vaccine is safe and that they should continue to encourage their daughters to be protected against cervical cancer, The HPV vaccination programme will continue as planned in the city from Monday.'
- Related Drug Categories
- Related MIMS Tables
- Routine Childhood Immunisation Schedule
- Summary of Antibiotic Treatments in Adults
- Related MIMS Guidelines and Summaries
- Peginterferon Alfa and Ribavirin for Treating Chronic Hepatitis C in Children and Young People (TA300)
- Colistimethate Sodium and Tobramycin Dry Powders for Inhalation for Treating Pseudomonas Lung Infection in Cystic Fibrosis (TA276)
- Boceprevir for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C (TA253)
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
- GP fronts poster campaign to reduce use of A&E
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , Alberta in Canada
- GP Salford Health Matters Competitive salary, Salford
- OOH LOCUM GP REQUIRED FOR EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS Quattro Recruitment Earn up to £75 per hour, Cheshire / Lancashire / Merseyside / Liverpool, Merseyside / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- GP LOCUMS URGENTLY REQUIRED FOR SESSIONS MAY-SEPTEMBER Quattro Recruitment Earn up to £85 per hour , Cheshire / Lancashire / Merseyside / Liverpool, Merseyside / Manchester, Greater Manchester