Malignant tumour caused HPV jab girl's death
By Neil Durham, 01 October 2009
A 14-year-old girl who received the HPV vaccine died from a malignant tumour and not a reaction to the jab.
Natalie Morton died after receving the Cervarix jab at the Blue Coat Church of England School in Coventry on Monday.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned at Coventry magistrates court on Thursday.
Dr Caron Grainger, joint director of public health for NHS Coventry and Coventry City Council, said afterwards: 'The pathologist has confirmed today at the opening of the inquest into the death of Natalie Morton that she died from a large malignant tumour of unknown origin in the heart and lungs.
'There is no indication that the HPV vaccine, which she had received shortly before her death, was a contributing factor to the death, which could have arisen at any point.
'We hope that this news will reassure parents that the vaccine is safe and that they should continue to encourage their daughters to be protected against cervical cancer, The HPV vaccination programme will continue as planned in the city from Monday.'
- Related Drug Categories
- Related MIMS Tables
- Routine Childhood Immunisation Schedule
- Summary of Antibiotic Treatments in Adults
- Related MIMS Guidelines and Summaries
- Peginterferon Alfa and Ribavirin for Treating Chronic Hepatitis C in Children and Young People (TA300)
- Colistimethate Sodium and Tobramycin Dry Powders for Inhalation for Treating Pseudomonas Lung Infection in Cystic Fibrosis (TA276)
- Boceprevir for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C (TA253)
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Part Time GP Partner Springfield Surgery Surrey Set monthly drawings (net of superannuation) + periodic profit share , Between Farnham and Godalming
- Salaried GP Part time Shetland Islands The Scalloway Health Centre £74k per annum pro rata 7 weeks annual leave, 2 weeks , Shetland Islands
- Part Time Salaried GP/GP Partner Standon and Puckeridge Surgery To be discussed at interview, Hertfordshire
- Salaried GP Church Elm Health Centre Dependant upon experience, London/Essex border
- GP Partner Cornishway Group Practice To be discussed, Wythenshawe Manchester
- Locum GP's in East London Required dr-locums Up to £105ph , East London