Malignant tumour caused HPV jab girl's death
By Neil Durham, 01 October 2009
A 14-year-old girl who received the HPV vaccine died from a malignant tumour and not a reaction to the jab.
Natalie Morton died after receving the Cervarix jab at the Blue Coat Church of England School in Coventry on Monday.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned at Coventry magistrates court on Thursday.
Dr Caron Grainger, joint director of public health for NHS Coventry and Coventry City Council, said afterwards: 'The pathologist has confirmed today at the opening of the inquest into the death of Natalie Morton that she died from a large malignant tumour of unknown origin in the heart and lungs.
'There is no indication that the HPV vaccine, which she had received shortly before her death, was a contributing factor to the death, which could have arisen at any point.
'We hope that this news will reassure parents that the vaccine is safe and that they should continue to encourage their daughters to be protected against cervical cancer, The HPV vaccination programme will continue as planned in the city from Monday.'
- Related Drug Categories
- Related MIMS Tables
- Routine Childhood Immunisation Schedule
- Summary of Antibiotic Treatments in Adults
- Related MIMS Guidelines and Summaries
- Colistimethate Sodium and Tobramycin Dry Powders for Inhalation for Treating Pseudomonas Lung Infection in Cystic Fibrosis (TA276)
- Boceprevir for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C (TA253)
- Telaprevir for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C (TA252)
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- NHS threatened by US trade deal, warns Lord Owen
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.