Malignant tumour caused HPV jab girl's death
By Neil Durham, 01 October 2009
A 14-year-old girl who received the HPV vaccine died from a malignant tumour and not a reaction to the jab.
Natalie Morton died after receving the Cervarix jab at the Blue Coat Church of England School in Coventry on Monday.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned at Coventry magistrates court on Thursday.
Dr Caron Grainger, joint director of public health for NHS Coventry and Coventry City Council, said afterwards: 'The pathologist has confirmed today at the opening of the inquest into the death of Natalie Morton that she died from a large malignant tumour of unknown origin in the heart and lungs.
'There is no indication that the HPV vaccine, which she had received shortly before her death, was a contributing factor to the death, which could have arisen at any point.
'We hope that this news will reassure parents that the vaccine is safe and that they should continue to encourage their daughters to be protected against cervical cancer, The HPV vaccination programme will continue as planned in the city from Monday.'
- Related Drug Categories
- Related MIMS Tables
- Routine Childhood Immunisation Schedule
- Summary of Antibiotic Treatments in Adults
- Related MIMS Guidelines and Summaries
- Peginterferon Alfa and Ribavirin for Treating Chronic Hepatitis C in Children and Young People (TA300)
- Colistimethate Sodium and Tobramycin Dry Powders for Inhalation for Treating Pseudomonas Lung Infection in Cystic Fibrosis (TA276)
- Boceprevir for the Treatment of Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C (TA253)
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- FULL TIME GP PARTNER Market Cross Surgery Lincolnshire Available on application., Rural South Lincolnshire - located bewteen Stamford and Grantham.
- Locum GP - Derbyshire and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Derbyshire areas and surrounding areas