Virgin amends its profit plans
11 July 2008
Virgin Healthcare has abandoned a plan under which GPs could be paid for referring NHS patients to private Virgin services.
GPs who sign up with Virgin will remain independent contractors, but will work within a Virgin-branded health centre offering services such as dentistry and physiotherapy. The company had said that practice income would include a share of the entire centre's profit.
But the BMA warned the plan would damage clinical objectivity, because GPs would have a financial incentive to direct patients to other services within the centre.
Virgin has now altered its model, so that only profits from patients not on the practice's list will count towards the profit share. A spokeswoman said this had been done after consulting the GMC, in order to 'avert any conflict of interest'.
GPC negotiator Dr Chaand Nagpaul welcomed the decision. But he warned that: 'This is a reflection of how unaware the commercial sector is of the ethics that are central to the NHS.'
Comment below and tell us what you think
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland