Derbyshire GP named 'NHS Hero'
By Nick Bostock, 19 July 2013
A Derbyshire GP has been named an NHS Hero for the 'exceptional care' she provided to a distressed patient.
Newbold Surgery partner Dr Ann Gedge (centre) had no idea she had won the award until it was presented to her at the practice by patient Emma Duffy (right) and NHS North Derbyshire CCG chair Dr Ben Milton (left).
Nominating her GP for the award, Ms Duffy wrote: 'Earlier this year I arrived at my GP’s in a suicidal state. Throughout the difficult situation she offered support and reassurance to both me and my mum, staying with us for the hours leading up to the admission.
'Suffering with mental health problems, I often feel I’m treated as a timewaster, and misunderstood. My GP has never made me feel like this. Instead of judging me she takes the time to listen. She’s shown belief, motivated me to keep fighting and made me realise recovery is possible.'
The awards scheme was set up under former health secretary Andrew Lansley to recognise the NHS's 'unsung heroes'.
A GP since 1990, Dr Gedge has been a partner in the Newbold Surgery for 19 years. She told GP: 'My practice manager knew, but I didn’t know anything about the award. It was lovely – I just went up into our coffee room and the patient was there.
'I was delighted. I was touched. But everyone at my surgery are heroes, not just me.'
Read about more NHS heroes among the winners of our GP Enterprise Awards
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Salaried GP Post available, Hampshire, up to £8000 per session, Part and full-time options Merco Up to £8k per session + benefits, Hampshire, South Central region
- General Practitioners - Leigh Family Practices and Leigh Sports Village IntraHealth Competitive, Wigan
- Salary GP with view to Partnership White House Surgery - Folkestone Competitive - To be discussed, Folkestone - Kent
- Locum GPs needed urgently in North West England for Walk in Centres / Surgery Cover / OOH Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, North West and Surrounding areas
- GP Locums Wanted for Surgeries, OOH, WIC, UCC, Prisons - London Locum Staffing Excellent Rates, London