Derbyshire GP named 'NHS Hero'
By Nick Bostock, 19 July 2013
A Derbyshire GP has been named an NHS Hero for the 'exceptional care' she provided to a distressed patient.
Newbold Surgery partner Dr Ann Gedge (centre) had no idea she had won the award until it was presented to her at the practice by patient Emma Duffy (right) and NHS North Derbyshire CCG chair Dr Ben Milton (left).
Nominating her GP for the award, Ms Duffy wrote: 'Earlier this year I arrived at my GP’s in a suicidal state. Throughout the difficult situation she offered support and reassurance to both me and my mum, staying with us for the hours leading up to the admission.
'Suffering with mental health problems, I often feel I’m treated as a timewaster, and misunderstood. My GP has never made me feel like this. Instead of judging me she takes the time to listen. She’s shown belief, motivated me to keep fighting and made me realise recovery is possible.'
The awards scheme was set up under former health secretary Andrew Lansley to recognise the NHS's 'unsung heroes'.
A GP since 1990, Dr Gedge has been a partner in the Newbold Surgery for 19 years. She told GP: 'My practice manager knew, but I didn’t know anything about the award. It was lovely – I just went up into our coffee room and the patient was there.
'I was delighted. I was touched. But everyone at my surgery are heroes, not just me.'
Read about more NHS heroes among the winners of our GP Enterprise Awards
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester
- OOH LOCUM GP REQUIRED FOR EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS Quattro Recruitment Earn up to £75 per hour, Cheshire / Lancashire / Merseyside / Liverpool, Merseyside / Manchester, Greater Manchester