BMA deputy chairman takes on Healthwatch role
By Beccy Phipps, 10 July 2013
BMA deputy chairman Dr Kailash Chand is set to chair a local health organisation established to boost patients' say in health and social services.
Dr Chand, a retired Manchester GP, was appointed chair of Healthwatch Tameside earlier this month after previously being the head of Tameside and Glossop PCT.
Healthwatch Tameside is one of 152 local branches of Healthwatch England, an independent organisation set up to scrutinise local health and social services as part of the government’s NHS reforms.
As well as signposting people towards available services, the local branches analyse feedback from patients and other community groups and pass it on to the national Healthwatch England.
The local bodies replaced LINks (Local Involvement Networks) in April.
Dr Chand said: ‘This is a significant time for the NHS, with a number of simultaneous changes going through under austere measures. The local NHS has been under real scrutiny and it seems to me unless patients and carers views are heard, we risk having more disasters.’
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent