BMA calls for 'professional regulation' for NHS managers
By Marina Soteriou, 25 June 2013
Doctors have called for NHS managers to be subject to professional regulation and 'held accountable for their actions and omissions'.
GPC negotiator Dr Peter Holden received a large round of applause at the BMA’s annual representative meeting in Edinburgh on Tuesday when he said that there has to be ‘some sanction’ for NHS managers at fault, beyond a ‘big fat cheque’ and a ‘gagging clause’.
Doctors passed a raft of motions put forward by Dr Holden about the Francis report into failings at the Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust, affirming that ‘patient care is the first duty for all involved in healthcare’.
The conference called for ‘NHS managers to be subject to professional regulation such that they are held accountable for their actions and omissions’.
Motions deplored ‘any culture of secrecy and bullying within health services’ and called for a culture change in the NHS to move away from ‘from the pursuit of financial and activity targets and revert to the attainment of quality in patient care’.
BMA chairman Dr Mark Porter told delegates that he would be ‘very happy to argue that there should be a regulatory system for managers’ before the vote. But he warned that it could mean that doctors who are also managers could be subject to two regulatory systems.
Hertfordshire GP Dr Michael Ingram cautioned against introducing a new regulatory system for NHS managers, warning that it could lead to ‘filibustering’.
‘It will delay action,’ he said. ‘We will have endless reports, endless expense.’
Latest Articles from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- Locum/Salaried GP- Out of Hour - Liverpool/Manchester/Yorkshire/North East & TOP RATES!! Medco Services Up to £95 per hour, East Riding of Yorkshire / Greater Manchester / Lancashire / Merseyside / Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Locum GP's in West London Required dr-locums Up to £105ph , London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Consultant or GPSI in Dermatology required in WORCESTER, Up to £500 per session + Benefits Career Doctors Up to £500 per session + NHS Pension + 6 weeks leave + paid study leave, Worcester, Worcestershire