GPs braced for £200m funding cut, RCGP warns
By Stephen Robinson, 23 May 2013
Funding for GP services in England will be 'stretched to the limit' by a £200m drop in investment over the next three years, the RCGP has warned.
The college has calculated that overall GP funding will see nine-figure losses at a time of increasing demands on the profession.
RCGP chairwoman Dr Clare Gerada called on the government to invest in general practice 'to guarantee safe and effective care for our patients today and in the future'.
The GPC warned last month that GPs could see a further £200m stripped from general practice next year over plans to equalise funding across GMS and PMS contracts.
Figures from the NHS Information Centre show total investment in general practice in England was £8.4bn in 2011/12, a 1.2% fall on the previous year.
The RCGP estimates that if this trend continues, £196m will be lost from GP service funding by 2015/16.
Dr Gerada said general practice was 'the most effective and cost-effective way of providing patient care', with a whole day's care costing one tenth of a day in hospital.
'But funding and resources for our services is being stretched to the limits, with family doctors facing ballooning workloads, record hours being worked in surgery and real consequences for patient care,' she said.
She said funding must reflect the increasingly challengign and complex work undertaken in primary care as the population ages and patients present with multiple conditions.
Source: NHS Information Centre, RCGP calculations
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire