Notting Hill GP takes over at her father's practice
By Nick Bostock, 26 April 2013
When Notting Hill GP Dr John Stride retires next month, he will hand over to two new partners, one of whom is his daughter, Dr Helen Neilan (pictured below, with her father).
Dr Neilan, who is due to start maternity leave on the day her father retires, said it was 'a bit early' to tell if a third generation would join the family business.
Dr Neilan told GP that her father's retirement after 32 years as a single-handed GP at the Portobello Medical Centre in London's Notting Hill had prompted an 'overwhelming sentiment of gratitude and appreciation from his patients'.
'My dad is a much-loved family doctor,' she said. 'Patients' kind comments and well-wishes are a testimony to his hard-work, attention to detail, and willingness to 'go the extra mile' over all these years.'
Dr Stride's 'willingness to go the extra mile' has continued right up to his retirement - he hand wrote over 350 personalised messages to patients informing them of his plans to step down.
New partner Dr Michael Pryce will run the practice when Dr Stride retires on 3 May and will be joined by Dr Neilan when she returns from maternity leave in November.
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Locum GP required in Dorset - Flexible hours, lucrative rates Locum.co.uk Competitive rates of pay, Dorset
- Full or part-time Salaried GP opportunities, Norfolk Merco Circa £85,000 plus benefits, Norfolk, East Anglia
- Full or part-time Salaried GP wanted, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- Locum GP cover needed in March, £75 per hour, Swindon Merco Up to £75 per hour, Swindon, South West region
- Salaried and Locum GP Opportunities available across Sussex Merco Excellent locum rates and salaries, Sussex, South East region