CQC refuses to register eight GP practices
By Graham Clews, 02 April 2013
Two GP practices have been refused registration by the CQC because the doctors involved refused to provide assurances about their fitness to practise, the CQC has said.
The two practices were among eight GP providers that the CQC refused to register as it took responsibility for registering GP practices for the first time.
Of the other six, one practice altered its set-up and re-submitted its application which was accepted by the CQC, and the other five remain outstanding, but the providers have 28 days in which to lodge an appeal.
Overall, the CQC registered 7,563 of the 7,607 GP providers that applied (99.4%). The outstanding 44 applied on or just before the 31 March deadline and their applications are still being processed.
There are 43 GP providers with which the CQC is ‘in discussion’ to see whether they are eligible for registration.
A spokesman for the CQC said these discussions could include the number and type of conditions to be placed on the providers.
The CQC’s head of registration, Adrian Hughes, described the GP registration process as ‘a tremendous success’.
‘GP registration is the final phase of a vast programme spanning the last three years, of registering a range of health and social care services,’ he said.
- Practices hit with £850 fee for CQC registration
- DH could impose GP ratings in response to Francis inquiry
- More than 100 practices set to miss CQC deadline
- GPs could face Ofsted-style ratings within two years
- CQC registration: What should practices do ahead of April?
- The CQC, partner changes and practice mergers
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Locum GP (Liverpool) Agenda Medical Locums £550 - 650 per day, Liverpool
- Locum GP (Newcastle) Agenda Medical Locums £525 per day, Newcastle