Record flu vaccination among NHS staff
By Stephen Robinson, 28 February 2013
More NHS staff than ever received the influenza jab in England this winter, according to official figures that show the numbers vaccinated has risen by 30% within two years.
DH figures show that by the end of January, 459,293 frontline NHS workers had received a flu vaccination - 45.9% of all staff.
This compares with 44.6% vaccinated in 2011/12, and 34.7% vaccinated in 2010/11.
NHS staff vaccinated against flu
Uptake rates were highest in the north west of England, with 58.9% of staff vaccinated. Rates were lowest in the South East Coast region, at just 37.6%.
The DH released the figures as NHS Employers announced the winners of this year's NHS Flu Fighter awards, for efforts to raise uptake.
Figures detailing profession-specific uptake are due in the next few weeks.
Flu rates across the country remained low in the week ending 20 February. The UK has so far failed to see a large spike in cases this winter, echoing the mild levels of flu also seen in 2011/12.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester