Poll reveals doctors are most trusted profession
By Marina Soteriou, 19 February 2013
Doctors are the most trusted profession, according to a poll of more than 1,000 British adults.
The poll by Ipsos MORI revealed that 89% of the 1,018 adults surveyed trust doctors to tell the truth, 9% said they didn’t trust them to tell the truth and a further 2% said they didn’t know.
Teachers came second with 86% of people trusting them to tell the truth followed by scientists with 83%. This compares with the ‘ordinary man/woman in the street’ who scored 64%. Only 23% of the people polled trust politicians to tell the truth.
GPC negotiator Dr Peter Holden said: ‘This doesn’t surprise me. It is very much what we have always known. Doctors sacrifice that trust at their peril. I would be worried if we weren’t at the top. Governments should listen to doctors more. The nature of the health service is that it is long term and politicians are short-term opportunists.’
The phone poll was conducted between 9 and 11 February.
Head of political research at Ipsos MORI, Gideon Skinner, said: ‘These results show once again the disconnect that exists between voters and their perception of the political elite. Rebuilding trust in our political system is a challenge that faces all parties.’
Ipsos MORI poll
Latest Articles from GP
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
- GP fronts poster campaign to reduce use of A&E
- GP contract in 2014/15 to benefit average practice by just £114
- Health check roll-out by councils 'ineffective', charity warns
- Quarter of CCGs face 2014/15 deficit as experts urge NHS funding rise
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , Alberta in Canada
- GP Salford Health Matters Competitive salary, Salford
- Salaried GP Required Yeading Medical Centre Up to £75,000 per annum negotiable, Yeading, Middlesex
- Locum GP Essex OOH MSI Group Ltd Hourly rates agreed individually , Essex - North London - East London - Suffolk - Herfordshire - Cambridgeshire - Berkshire