Poll reveals doctors are most trusted profession
By Marina Soteriou, 19 February 2013
Doctors are the most trusted profession, according to a poll of more than 1,000 British adults.
The poll by Ipsos MORI revealed that 89% of the 1,018 adults surveyed trust doctors to tell the truth, 9% said they didn’t trust them to tell the truth and a further 2% said they didn’t know.
Teachers came second with 86% of people trusting them to tell the truth followed by scientists with 83%. This compares with the ‘ordinary man/woman in the street’ who scored 64%. Only 23% of the people polled trust politicians to tell the truth.
GPC negotiator Dr Peter Holden said: ‘This doesn’t surprise me. It is very much what we have always known. Doctors sacrifice that trust at their peril. I would be worried if we weren’t at the top. Governments should listen to doctors more. The nature of the health service is that it is long term and politicians are short-term opportunists.’
The phone poll was conducted between 9 and 11 February.
Head of political research at Ipsos MORI, Gideon Skinner, said: ‘These results show once again the disconnect that exists between voters and their perception of the political elite. Rebuilding trust in our political system is a challenge that faces all parties.’
Ipsos MORI poll
Latest Articles from GP
- Jeremy Hunt backs CQC naming and shaming GP practices
- BMA winter campaign urges patients to self care at home
- New models of general practice needed, NHS England warns
- #WeekInReview - 12 December: CQC naming and shaming, #surgerylive and #AskLordHowe
- First 1,000 CQC visits find 10 practices with 'serious failings'
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Millstream Medical Centre Competitive salary will be offered dependent on experience, Central Salisbury
- 2 x Salaried GP Positions, Great Yarmouth, FT & PT, C.£85,000 Merco Circa £85,000 plus benefits, Norfolk, East Anglia
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham