Poll reveals doctors are most trusted profession
By Marina Soteriou, 19 February 2013
Doctors are the most trusted profession, according to a poll of more than 1,000 British adults.
The poll by Ipsos MORI revealed that 89% of the 1,018 adults surveyed trust doctors to tell the truth, 9% said they didn’t trust them to tell the truth and a further 2% said they didn’t know.
Teachers came second with 86% of people trusting them to tell the truth followed by scientists with 83%. This compares with the ‘ordinary man/woman in the street’ who scored 64%. Only 23% of the people polled trust politicians to tell the truth.
GPC negotiator Dr Peter Holden said: ‘This doesn’t surprise me. It is very much what we have always known. Doctors sacrifice that trust at their peril. I would be worried if we weren’t at the top. Governments should listen to doctors more. The nature of the health service is that it is long term and politicians are short-term opportunists.’
The phone poll was conducted between 9 and 11 February.
Head of political research at Ipsos MORI, Gideon Skinner, said: ‘These results show once again the disconnect that exists between voters and their perception of the political elite. Rebuilding trust in our political system is a challenge that faces all parties.’
Ipsos MORI poll
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Are you a Locum GP looking for work in Walk in Centres, OOH, Surgeries or Prisons at Top Rates? Medco Services Upto £100 p/h, National
- Salaried GP required in Hartlepool, Full-time, Up to £90k + MDU + Benefits Career Doctors £90k + MDU + annual leave, North East England, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough
- Salaried GP required in Traditional Langbaurgh surgery, £90k + Benefits Career Doctors £90,000 + MDU and benefits, Middlesbrough, Langbaurgh, County Durham, North East England
- GP required in Stockton on Tees, up to £90K + Benefits Career Doctors £90K + MDU + Benefits, Stockton on Tees, Middlebrough, North East England
- North (N15) London client requiring Full Time cover during March and April Locum.co.uk Fantastic rates on offer, North London (N15)