DH warns GPs over diabetes test strips
By Stephen Robinson, 11 February 2013
DH officials have urged GPs to make sure patients with type 1 diabetes have enough blood glucose test strips, after reports suggested some are missing out on prescriptions.
Senior DH figures said it was 'essential' that patients are prescribed sufficient self-blood glucose measurement test strips amid rising cases of ketoacidosis.
Anecdotal reports from the charity Diabetes UK and others suggest some patients are being 'refused' prescriptions for the strips, officials said.
The warning came in a letter signed by officials including Dr Rowan Hillson, national clinical director for diabetes. It follows an all-party parliamentary group meeting with health minister Anna Soubry.
'While testing strips dispensed in primary care may appear to have a premium cost, the wider costs to the patient’s quality of life, their safety and ability to work and to the NHS of complications of uncontrolled diabetes far outweigh these costs,' the letter reads.
'GPs and pharmacists should work collaboratively with patients to ensure the optimal amount of testing strips are prescribed and supplied to type 1 diabetics. Too few can lead to serious clinical consequences. Too many can lead to wastage.'
There were 8,472 cases of ketoacidosis in England and Wales in 2010/11 and experts say the figure is rising.
Latest Articles from GP
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
- GPs and patients in the dark about care.data
- GP funding threat as Labour-commissioned report urges radical NHS pay reform
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Salaried GP Post available, Hampshire, up to £8000 per session, Part and full-time options Merco Up to £8k per session + benefits, Hampshire, South Central region
- General Practitioners - Leigh Family Practices and Leigh Sports Village IntraHealth Competitive, Wigan
- Salary GP with view to Partnership White House Surgery - Folkestone Competitive - To be discussed, Folkestone - Kent
- Locum GPs needed urgently in North West England for Walk in Centres / Surgery Cover / OOH Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, North West and Surrounding areas
- GP Locums Wanted for Surgeries, OOH, WIC, UCC, Prisons - London Locum Staffing Excellent Rates, London