DH warns GPs over diabetes test strips
By Stephen Robinson, 11 February 2013
DH officials have urged GPs to make sure patients with type 1 diabetes have enough blood glucose test strips, after reports suggested some are missing out on prescriptions.
Senior DH figures said it was 'essential' that patients are prescribed sufficient self-blood glucose measurement test strips amid rising cases of ketoacidosis.
Anecdotal reports from the charity Diabetes UK and others suggest some patients are being 'refused' prescriptions for the strips, officials said.
The warning came in a letter signed by officials including Dr Rowan Hillson, national clinical director for diabetes. It follows an all-party parliamentary group meeting with health minister Anna Soubry.
'While testing strips dispensed in primary care may appear to have a premium cost, the wider costs to the patient’s quality of life, their safety and ability to work and to the NHS of complications of uncontrolled diabetes far outweigh these costs,' the letter reads.
'GPs and pharmacists should work collaboratively with patients to ensure the optimal amount of testing strips are prescribed and supplied to type 1 diabetics. Too few can lead to serious clinical consequences. Too many can lead to wastage.'
There were 8,472 cases of ketoacidosis in England and Wales in 2010/11 and experts say the figure is rising.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent