DH warns GPs over diabetes test strips
By Stephen Robinson, 11 February 2013
DH officials have urged GPs to make sure patients with type 1 diabetes have enough blood glucose test strips, after reports suggested some are missing out on prescriptions.
Senior DH figures said it was 'essential' that patients are prescribed sufficient self-blood glucose measurement test strips amid rising cases of ketoacidosis.
Anecdotal reports from the charity Diabetes UK and others suggest some patients are being 'refused' prescriptions for the strips, officials said.
The warning came in a letter signed by officials including Dr Rowan Hillson, national clinical director for diabetes. It follows an all-party parliamentary group meeting with health minister Anna Soubry.
'While testing strips dispensed in primary care may appear to have a premium cost, the wider costs to the patient’s quality of life, their safety and ability to work and to the NHS of complications of uncontrolled diabetes far outweigh these costs,' the letter reads.
'GPs and pharmacists should work collaboratively with patients to ensure the optimal amount of testing strips are prescribed and supplied to type 1 diabetics. Too few can lead to serious clinical consequences. Too many can lead to wastage.'
There were 8,472 cases of ketoacidosis in England and Wales in 2010/11 and experts say the figure is rising.
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- NHS threatened by US trade deal, warns Lord Owen
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.