GPs urged to express views on pension reforms
By Abi Rimmer, 14 January 2013
The BMA is calling on GPs to respond to a DH consultation on changes to the NHS pension scheme.
In an email sent out to GPs on Friday, the BMA said that planned changes to the NHS pension scheme, to increase contributions and bring the pensionable age in line with the state pension, would ‘unfairly penalise’ NHS staff.
It warned that under reforms, doctors could see deductions of up to 13.3% of their pay from this April, with a further cut due next year.
In November last year BMA chairman Dr Mark Porter said fresh talks on contribution changes had raised the possibility of a fairer contribution structure for the NHS scheme.
In a letter to the BMA, health secretary Jeremy Hunt asked the union to reach a consensus with other unions and to make a recommendation to the DH, on how contributions should be tiered, through the NHS Pension Scheme Governance Group.
The union has now urged GPs to use an online tool to take part in a DH consultation on increases in contributions in England and Wales.
The BMA is also working with other unions to build a joint campaign against the increase in the NHS pension age.
The consultation closes on 12 February 2013.
- GP Pensions Timeline
- GPs face bigger pension tax bill in Autumn Statement
- BMA Scotland rules out strike action over pensions
- BMA mulls pensions strikes after ballot backs action
- BMA hails milestone in pensions' dispute as DH re-opens talks
- NHS pension reforms 'allow government to impose changes', warns BMA
Latest Articles from GP
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
- GP fronts poster campaign to reduce use of A&E
- GP contract in 2014/15 to benefit average practice by just £114
- Health check roll-out by councils 'ineffective', charity warns
- Quarter of CCGs face 2014/15 deficit as experts urge NHS funding rise
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , Alberta in Canada
- GP Salford Health Matters Competitive salary, Salford
- Salaried GP Required Yeading Medical Centre Up to £75,000 per annum negotiable, Yeading, Middlesex
- Locum GP Essex OOH MSI Group Ltd Hourly rates agreed individually , Essex - North London - East London - Suffolk - Herfordshire - Cambridgeshire - Berkshire