Virtual GP visits boost rate of antibiotic prescribing
By Stephen Robinson, 30 November 2012
Virtual consultations may raise antibiotic prescribing rates but could save healthcare costs, research suggests.
A US analysis of 'e-visits' to primary care practices found doctors were twice as likely to prescribe antibiotics for UTI when patients consulted online, and clinicians were less likely to order a follow-up test. This contributed to lower costs for e-visits than face-to-face consultations.
Researchers said the lack of face-to-face contact might encourage doctors to take a safer and more 'conservative' approach to care.
The DH announced last month that e-consultations were to become 'much more widely available' by 2015. The GPC has warned that 'major concerns about confidentiality' remain.
Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh examined clinical care for sinusitis and UTI at four primary care centres whose patients can visit a secure website and answer questions about their condition, or attend surgery as usual. A clinician then makes a diagnosis or orders follow-up tests and replies to the patient.
Doctors prescribed antibiotics for UTI after 99% of e-visits, against 49% when face to face, researchers found. Sinusitis sufferers were also slightly more likely to receive antibiotics.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland