Record sharing saves 1,000 calls from hospitals to practices
By Marina Soteriou, 27 November 2012
A record-sharing system across 91 GP practices and a hospital trust is estimated to have saved 1,000 phone calls to the practices over three months.
Secondary care clinicians estimate that the integrated EMIS Web system launched across 91 GP practices across Blackburn, Lancashire, in April saved 1,000 phone calls to practices to check patients’ medical records, in its first three months.
Urgent care doctors and hospital pharmacists using the system within East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust calculate that it is saving them hundreds of phone calls and faxes a month to GP practices, equating to 3.5 working days a month.
Dr Paul Fourie, whose Witton Medical Centre practice in Blackburn took part in the scheme, said: ‘The benefits for patients are fantastic. One of the biggest problems for urgent care doctors is finding out what medication the patient is on, particularly out of hours. Record viewing via EMIS Web is unarguably safer than faxes or phone calls to practice staff who are not medically qualified.’
The information – including details of prescribed medication – is available through a secure, read-only view of the patient’s GP record via EMIS Web access points at hospital terminals. The record-sharing initiative has local data-sharing agreements and patient consent.
Managing director of EMIS Neil Laycock called the scheme a 'fantastic example of integrated healthcare in action'.
- GPs urged to make IT funding inventory to stop cuts
- Online access to patient records has 'clear confidentiality issues', health minister says
- Online GP consultations 'to become widespread'
- Complaints could rise if GPs disclose patient records to insurance companies
- GPs can access patient records via tablet devices
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Are you a Locum GP looking for work in Walk in Centres, OOH, Surgeries or Prisons at Top Rates? Medco Services Upto £100 p/h, National
- Salaried GP required in Hartlepool, Full-time, Up to £90k + MDU + Benefits Career Doctors £90k + MDU + annual leave, North East England, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough
- Salaried GP required in Traditional Langbaurgh surgery, £90k + Benefits Career Doctors £90,000 + MDU and benefits, Middlesbrough, Langbaurgh, County Durham, North East England
- GP required in Stockton on Tees, up to £90K + Benefits Career Doctors £90K + MDU + Benefits, Stockton on Tees, Middlebrough, North East England
- North (N15) London client requiring Full Time cover during March and April Locum.co.uk Fantastic rates on offer, North London (N15)