Asbestos dumped in carpark costs practice £1,000
By Abi Rimmer, 30 October 2012
A GP practice faced a £1,000 bill after toxic asbestos was dumped in its car park.
Rowans Surgery in Streatham, South London, was left with a £1,000 bill after a pile of asbestos-filled roofing was dumped on its premises.
The practice’s CCTV caught a van, with its licence plates covered and headlights dimmed, dumping the rubble in the practice car park on a Friday evening earlier this month. The practice quickly alerted the police, and paid specialists £1,000 to clear the substance, ensuring that patient services were not affected.
Rubbish left in practice car park
Practice business manager Chris Newman said: ‘I am very angry. I think is disgraceful they decided to leave it on NHS property. We’ve got vulnerable patients walking in and out.
Mr Newman said it was disappointing that practice funds had to be used to clear up the rubble. ‘That’s money that has been taken out of patient care.’
Mr Newman said that, a week after the incident, a neighbouring practice also reported having rubble tipped onto its premises, although the rubble did not contain any asbestos.
Latest Articles from GP
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
- GPs and patients in the dark about care.data
- GP funding threat as Labour-commissioned report urges radical NHS pay reform
- #WeekInReview - 6 March: #CareData info sale row, #NHSChangeDay, GP raunchy novel and #BBCQT
- GPs urged to treat obesity as red flag for depression
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Salaried GP Post available, Hampshire, up to £8000 per session, Part and full-time options Merco Up to £8k per session + benefits, Hampshire, South Central region
- General Practitioners - Leigh Family Practices and Leigh Sports Village IntraHealth Competitive, Wigan
- Locum GPs needed urgently in North West England for Walk in Centres / Surgery Cover / OOH Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, North West and Surrounding areas
- GP Locums Wanted for Surgeries, OOH, WIC, UCC, Prisons - London Locum Staffing Excellent Rates, London
- Looking for Locum work in March, April & May? Locum Staffing £1000 to £1500 p/day, Nationwide