Asbestos dumped in carpark costs practice £1,000
By Abi Rimmer, 30 October 2012
A GP practice faced a £1,000 bill after toxic asbestos was dumped in its car park.
Rowans Surgery in Streatham, South London, was left with a £1,000 bill after a pile of asbestos-filled roofing was dumped on its premises.
The practice’s CCTV caught a van, with its licence plates covered and headlights dimmed, dumping the rubble in the practice car park on a Friday evening earlier this month. The practice quickly alerted the police, and paid specialists £1,000 to clear the substance, ensuring that patient services were not affected.
Rubbish left in practice car park
Practice business manager Chris Newman said: ‘I am very angry. I think is disgraceful they decided to leave it on NHS property. We’ve got vulnerable patients walking in and out.
Mr Newman said it was disappointing that practice funds had to be used to clear up the rubble. ‘That’s money that has been taken out of patient care.’
Mr Newman said that, a week after the incident, a neighbouring practice also reported having rubble tipped onto its premises, although the rubble did not contain any asbestos.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland