RCGP advisers will ensure GP revalidation is fair
By Abi Rimmer, 31 October 2012
The RCGP will appoint advisers to ensure revalidation and remediation remain fair for GPs once control moves to the NHS Commissioning Board (NHSCB).
When PCTs are abolished in April 2013, the NHS Commissioning Board (NHSCB) will appoint responsible officers (ROs) who will decide whether to recommend a doctor to the GMC for revalidation.
RCGP revalidation lead Professor Nigel Sparrow said that, in order to ensure revalidation for GPs is fair, the college would appoint experts to advise these ROs. The RCGP will also appoint remediation supervisors who will be in charge of overseeing, as well as providing, remediation for GPs who need it, he said.
Professor Sparrow explained that the NHSCB would have 27 local outposts, called local area teams, who would employ at least one RO.
Under the current system, ROs are usually PCT medical directors and former GPs. Under the new structure, ROs in charge of making GP revalidation decisions may not have any experience as a GP.
Professor Sparrow said the RCGP would appoint advisers to provide ROs with generic advice on general practice. So far, 11 have been appointed on a regional basis.
'Our specialty advisers won’t be advising on individual doctors portfolios but will be there to advise on issues relating to a particular aspect of the specialty,' he said. 'It may be something like what sort of supporting information would a GPSI for example in substance misuse require for their portfolio.'
GPC revalidation lead Dr Dean Marshall welcomed the RCGP’s involvement in GP revalidation. ‘I think ROs are going to have an extremely difficult job so we welcome the involvement of the RCGP in supporting ROs,' he said.
Watch Professor Sparrow explain how the NHS reforms will affect revalidation.
- Revalidation timeline
- Revalidation will find serious concerns for just 0.7% of doctors
- Revalidation to start in December
- Viewpoint: Revalidation publicity might undermine trust in GPs, Kings Fund and Ipsos MORI warn
- GMC gives approval for revalidation to start this year
- Remediation funding must be available UK-wide, says GPC
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire