Leading GP converts former surgery into alternative therapy clinic
By Abi Rimmer, 28 August 2012
A former president of the Medical Women's Federation has converted her old practice building into an alternative surgery offering therapies such as massage and reflexology.
Buxted GP Dr Clarissa Fabre converted April cottage into an alternative surgery after her GP practice moved into new PCT-funded premises.
From 3 September the surgery will offer therapies such as acupuncture, pilates and hypnotherapy.
Dr Fabre said she wanted to open the surgery because she believed many patients needed more support than their GP could give them.
‘I think a lot of patients would benefit from talking to people. A GP can only give them 10 minutes, which is not long enough.’
Dr Fabre said that although she had never personally experienced alternative therapies, she had seen first-hand the benefits they could offer her patients.
She hopes that the surgery will benefit patients who suffer from conditions such as stress, addiction and even back pain, which Dr Fabre said often had underlying psychological causes.
All services at April cottage will be paid for by patients. Dr Fabre said: ‘I hope that one day these therapies will be on the NHS.’
The alternative surgery will be opened on 1 September by the vicar of Firle and Glynde, TV presenter and author Peter Owen Jones.
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.