Leading GP converts former surgery into alternative therapy clinic
By Abi Rimmer, 28 August 2012
A former president of the Medical Women's Federation has converted her old practice building into an alternative surgery offering therapies such as massage and reflexology.
Buxted GP Dr Clarissa Fabre converted April cottage into an alternative surgery after her GP practice moved into new PCT-funded premises.
From 3 September the surgery will offer therapies such as acupuncture, pilates and hypnotherapy.
Dr Fabre said she wanted to open the surgery because she believed many patients needed more support than their GP could give them.
‘I think a lot of patients would benefit from talking to people. A GP can only give them 10 minutes, which is not long enough.’
Dr Fabre said that although she had never personally experienced alternative therapies, she had seen first-hand the benefits they could offer her patients.
She hopes that the surgery will benefit patients who suffer from conditions such as stress, addiction and even back pain, which Dr Fabre said often had underlying psychological causes.
All services at April cottage will be paid for by patients. Dr Fabre said: ‘I hope that one day these therapies will be on the NHS.’
The alternative surgery will be opened on 1 September by the vicar of Firle and Glynde, TV presenter and author Peter Owen Jones.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester