Leading GP converts former surgery into alternative therapy clinic
By Abi Rimmer, 28 August 2012
A former president of the Medical Women's Federation has converted her old practice building into an alternative surgery offering therapies such as massage and reflexology.
Buxted GP Dr Clarissa Fabre converted April cottage into an alternative surgery after her GP practice moved into new PCT-funded premises.
From 3 September the surgery will offer therapies such as acupuncture, pilates and hypnotherapy.
Dr Fabre said she wanted to open the surgery because she believed many patients needed more support than their GP could give them.
‘I think a lot of patients would benefit from talking to people. A GP can only give them 10 minutes, which is not long enough.’
Dr Fabre said that although she had never personally experienced alternative therapies, she had seen first-hand the benefits they could offer her patients.
She hopes that the surgery will benefit patients who suffer from conditions such as stress, addiction and even back pain, which Dr Fabre said often had underlying psychological causes.
All services at April cottage will be paid for by patients. Dr Fabre said: ‘I hope that one day these therapies will be on the NHS.’
The alternative surgery will be opened on 1 September by the vicar of Firle and Glynde, TV presenter and author Peter Owen Jones.
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire