GP urged to audit records to find two million with undiagnosed COPD
By Tom Moberly, 11 May 2012
GPs should carry out audits of patient records to help identify two million people with undiagnosed COPD, the DH has said.
The advice is included in a companion document to the outcomes strategy for COPD and asthma, which the DH released this week.
To improve COPD outcomes, the NHS should identify people whose treatment history and symptoms suggest that COPD may have been missed, the DH said.
‘Targeted case-finding can be done through auditing GP registers to identify people whose treatment history and symptoms suggest a diagnosis that COPD may have been missed or that COPD has been incorrectly diagnosed,’ it said.
NICE recommends that COPD diagnosis should be considered in people over 35 who have a risk factor (generally smoking) and who present with exertional breathlessness, chronic cough, regular sputum production, frequent winter ‘bronchitis’ or wheeze.
The outcomes strategy companion document also recommends that GPs should stratify their asthma registers according to people’s risk of having an exacerbation or losing control of their condition.
- Related Drug Categories
- Asthma, COPD
- Related MIMS Tables
- Inhalers, a Guide to Breath-Actuated Devices
- Asthma and COPD Preparations and Compatible Devices
- Oxygen Concentrators: Procedure for Prescribing
Latest Articles from GP
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
- GP fronts poster campaign to reduce use of A&E
- GP contract in 2014/15 to benefit average practice by just £114
- Health check roll-out by councils 'ineffective', charity warns
- Quarter of CCGs face 2014/15 deficit as experts urge NHS funding rise
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , Alberta in Canada
- GP Salford Health Matters Competitive salary, Salford
- Salaried GP Required Yeading Medical Centre Up to £75,000 per annum negotiable, Yeading, Middlesex
- Locum GP Essex OOH MSI Group Ltd Hourly rates agreed individually , Essex - North London - East London - Suffolk - Herfordshire - Cambridgeshire - Berkshire