GPs given vitamin D prescribing advice
By Stephen Robinson, 14 March 2012
GPs have been told which vitamin D supplements they can prescribe to prevent deficiency in line with recent CMO advice, following reports of supply problems and the use of costly alternative products.
Last month, GP leaders warned that 'erratic' supplies of vitamin D drugs and the use of expensive bespoke products were pushing up NHS costs.
UK CMOs had called for better awareness of the risks of vitamin D deficiency in a letter to health professionals in early February.
They asked GPs to alert patients at risk of vitamin D deficiency and inform them of how to get free supplements to prevent diseases such as rickets.
Now, advice from the London Medicines Information Service sets out 19 products costing between £0.91 and £141.68 that GPs and the NHS can prescribe to patients to fulfil the CMOs' recommendations.
These include low-cost, government-funded Healthy Start vitamins as well as more expensive liquid forms manufactured as made-to-order products called 'specials'.
The advice also includes details of availability.
Last month, GP revealed that the NHS prescribed expensive unlicensed vitamin D medicines costing up to £2,400 in 2011.
GP had previously found that primary care prescribing costs for vitamin D have tripled since 2004 and will hit £100m by 2013.
- Related Drug Categories
- Vitamins and tonics
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent