MPs refuse to debate GP's popular anti-Health Bill e-petition
By Neil Durham, 28 February 2012
A GP's anti-Health Bill e-petition which won more support than any other will not be debated in parliament despite passing the 100,000-signature mark.
Greater Manchester GP and NHS Tameside and Glossop chairman Dr Kailash Chand's petition which called on the government to drop the Health Bill was backed by more than 162,000 signatures.
Labour MP for Stalybridge and Hyde Jonathan Reynolds presented the e-petition to the Backbench Business Committee of the Commons.
Asked why the petition was declined and what would happen next, he tweeted:
@Abi_Rimmer They cited the Bill still being before Parliament and a lack of Conservative support for the debate— Jonathan Reynolds MP (@jreynoldsMP) February 28, 2012
- Intelligent Commissioning - How to make the most of commissioning support
- Exclusive: Commissioning at risk as PCTs miss savings targets
- GP's e-petition to scrap Health Bill 'best supported yet'
- #weekinreview - 17 February
- Prescott gives vocal backing to GP's anti-Health Bill campaign
- GPs write to prime minister urging him to drop the Health Bill
Latest Articles from GP
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
- Flu jab cuts diabetes deaths by 30%
- NHS England confirms plans to hand CCGs primary care commissioning role
- Scottish LMCs conference to debate fresh call for breakaway GP contract
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Are you a Locum GP looking for work in Walk in Centres, OOH, Surgeries or Prisons at Top Rates? Medco Services Upto £100 p/h, National
- Salaried GP required in Hartlepool, Full-time, Up to £90k + MDU + Benefits Career Doctors £90k + MDU + annual leave, North East England, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough
- Salaried GP required in Traditional Langbaurgh surgery, £90k + Benefits Career Doctors £90,000 + MDU and benefits, Middlesbrough, Langbaurgh, County Durham, North East England
- GP required in Stockton on Tees, up to £90K + Benefits Career Doctors £90K + MDU + Benefits, Stockton on Tees, Middlebrough, North East England
- North (N15) London client requiring Full Time cover during March and April Locum.co.uk Fantastic rates on offer, North London (N15)