Andy Burnham now Labour's shadow health secretary in Cabinet reshuffle
By Susie Sell, 07 October 2011
Former health secretary Andy Burnham has been appointed as the new shadow health secretary following John Healey's resignation.
Mr Burnham will move from his position as shadow education secretary to take up the shadow health secretary post. The cabinet reshuffle will also see shadow health minister Liz Kendall appointed to the shadow cabinet.
In October last year Mr Burnham, who was health secretary between June 2009 and May 2010, launched a ‘Save our NHS’ campaign against the NHS reform plans.
He said the reorganisation is ‘unnecessary and dangerous’ and will ‘unpick the very fabric of our previous NHS’.
Labour leader Ed Miliband said he is determined that the shadow cabinet holds the government to account.
He said: ‘My decision to appoint half a dozen members of the 2010 intake [including Liz Kendall] shows the talent that Labour has and the way in which this new generation can join us in taking Labour’s agenda forward.’
- John Healey steps down as Labour's shadow health secretary
- How will the Health Bill be changed?
- RCGP demands Health Bill changes
- John Healey named as new shadow health secretary
- Burnham appeals for GP commissioning pilots and for PCTs to stay
- Burnham urges Liberal Democrats to reject health White Paper
- Former health secretary launches 'Save our NHS' campaign
- Andrew Lansley named health secretary in Conservative-Lib Dem government
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester