Andy Burnham now Labour's shadow health secretary in Cabinet reshuffle
By Susie Sell, 07 October 2011
Former health secretary Andy Burnham has been appointed as the new shadow health secretary following John Healey's resignation.
Mr Burnham will move from his position as shadow education secretary to take up the shadow health secretary post. The cabinet reshuffle will also see shadow health minister Liz Kendall appointed to the shadow cabinet.
In October last year Mr Burnham, who was health secretary between June 2009 and May 2010, launched a ‘Save our NHS’ campaign against the NHS reform plans.
He said the reorganisation is ‘unnecessary and dangerous’ and will ‘unpick the very fabric of our previous NHS’.
Labour leader Ed Miliband said he is determined that the shadow cabinet holds the government to account.
He said: ‘My decision to appoint half a dozen members of the 2010 intake [including Liz Kendall] shows the talent that Labour has and the way in which this new generation can join us in taking Labour’s agenda forward.’
- John Healey steps down as Labour's shadow health secretary
- How will the Health Bill be changed?
- RCGP demands Health Bill changes
- John Healey named as new shadow health secretary
- Burnham appeals for GP commissioning pilots and for PCTs to stay
- Burnham urges Liberal Democrats to reject health White Paper
- Former health secretary launches 'Save our NHS' campaign
- Andrew Lansley named health secretary in Conservative-Lib Dem government
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Salaried GP and GP Partner Positions nationwide Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, Nationwide
- GP - outer Melbourne - earnings c.$300kpa - Australia Head Medical Based 8 sessions per week - bill in the region of $10,000 per week. Estimated circa $300k pa, Victoria, Australia