BMA to discuss how GPs can show support for pension strikes
By Abi Rimmer, 05 October 2011
The BMA will join other health unions to discuss how they can show support for pension strikes without taking industrial action.
The joint Pensions Campaign Group will meet on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the 30 November day of action.
Unions such as the RCN, BMA, Unite and Unison will be attending the meeting to discuss all possible types of action to show their anger at the government’s proposed public sector pension reforms.
A spokeswoman for Unison, the public sector union, said the group is set to discuss how unions such as the BMA, which has decided against strike action, can still be involved in the day of action.
‘There are people involved who aren’t balloting for industrial action,’ she said.
The group will also work on putting together joint material to inform members on pension issues, she said.
Although Unison is planning to ballot members over pension reforms, the spokeswoman said that strike action would always be a last resort.
‘We hope to reach a deal [over pensions] but we have to be ready if talks fail,’ she said.
A spokesman for the BMA confirmed that the union would be attending the meeting.
The BMA will be discussing ways in which doctors can show their support for strikes without taking industrial action themselves.
‘The focus will be on the day of action and what joint action we can take with other unions,’ the spokesman said.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent