BMA to discuss how GPs can show support for pension strikes
By Abi Rimmer, 05 October 2011
The BMA will join other health unions to discuss how they can show support for pension strikes without taking industrial action.
The joint Pensions Campaign Group will meet on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the 30 November day of action.
Unions such as the RCN, BMA, Unite and Unison will be attending the meeting to discuss all possible types of action to show their anger at the government’s proposed public sector pension reforms.
A spokeswoman for Unison, the public sector union, said the group is set to discuss how unions such as the BMA, which has decided against strike action, can still be involved in the day of action.
‘There are people involved who aren’t balloting for industrial action,’ she said.
The group will also work on putting together joint material to inform members on pension issues, she said.
Although Unison is planning to ballot members over pension reforms, the spokeswoman said that strike action would always be a last resort.
‘We hope to reach a deal [over pensions] but we have to be ready if talks fail,’ she said.
A spokesman for the BMA confirmed that the union would be attending the meeting.
The BMA will be discussing ways in which doctors can show their support for strikes without taking industrial action themselves.
‘The focus will be on the day of action and what joint action we can take with other unions,’ the spokesman said.
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire